If you currently have an Attorney-in-fact assigned through a Power of Attorney document and wish to cancel, or revoke, this assignment, you must complete a Revocation of Power of Attorney form in order to effectuate this cancellation.

The Revocation of Power of Attorney is a written, legal document used by the Grantor to cancel, or revoke, the rights and privileges previously granted to an Attorney-in-fact in your Power of Attorney document. The Grantor must complete and execute this document, regardless of the revocation circumstances, in order to fully cancel all rights and privileges of your Attorney-in-fact. (As outlined in the Power of Attorney description, the rights of your Attorney-in-fact may have been time limited relating to your specific private affairs. Be sure to determine if time limits were imposed upon your Attorney-in-fact before completing and executing the Revocation of Power of Attorney form.)

The Revocation of Power of Attorney document will typically specify the following:

  • Name of Grantor
  • City and State of Grantor
  • Date of Revocation of Power of Attorney
  • Name of Attorney-in-fact
  • City and State of Attorney-in-fact
  • An original copy of the executed Power of Attorney
  • Name of new Attorney-in-fact (if desired)
  • Signature of Grantor
  • Notarization by a local Notary Public

Revocation of Power of Attorney can be somewhat complicated. For example, many contracts may assign Power of Attorney for a specified period of time, or until the contract is no longer valid. Should you elect to complete a Revocation of Power of Attorney directly related to a contractual Power of Attorney, you may want to first carefully review the contract and / or discuss this action with your private attorney. The contract bearer may deem this form of revocation a breach of contract and subject you to financial damages or claims.

Of important note: If you previously filed a Power of Attorney with your private attorney and / or the court, you also must file the Revocation of Power of Attorney as a form of record. You also may request your attorney formally notify, in writing, the Attorney-in-fact and other related acquaintances or parties who may be in need of notification.